Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have a 11 year old yorkie and a 5 year old Havanese. Over

Customer Question

I have a 11 year old yorkie and a 5 year old Havanese. Over the last 3 weeks I've had to change their diets for different reasons. I tried Acanuna dry food with Evangers wet but they would not eat it. Next Stella & Chewys chicken mixer and Fromm chicken wet food. They loved it but they were not going to the bathroom and when they did it was very runny. I switched to Weruva chicken wet and the Fromm but they still had diarrhea. I'm
Only feeding the the Weruva chicken with gravey but they still have diarrhea and don't go often and have been going in the house in the middle of the night. They love the food and play and seem fine but still the diarrhea after 4 days. I keep thinking they will adjust to the food but no luck. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** am sorry to hear that both of your dogs are having issues with diarrhea recently. Unfortunately, changing food quickly can certainly cause diarrhea. I generally recommend changing food slowly over a 1-4 week period to decrease the risks of diarrhea and other gastrointestinal upset. I do worry about dogs, especially small dogs, that have diarrhea for an extended period as they can become very dehydrated. I recommend that you see your veterinarian and take a stool (poop) sample with you so that it can be tested for parasites (intestinal worms, as well as giardia, a protozoal parasite). You can also speak to your veterinarian about different medications that may be appropriate for your dogs. I do recommend starting a veterinary probiotic as soon as possible, as they have been shown to decrease the length of time that dogs have diarrhea. Please let me know if you have any additional questions that you may have.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
JACustomer, how are your Yorkie and Havanese doing? Do you need further recommendations regarding how you can treat the diarrhea or even diets to try?