Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

9 month old poodle is away from home and no immediate access

Customer Question

9 month old poodle is away from home and no immediate access to vet. Has apparent ear infection (which I know is common in poodles). Is there any contraindication to using BNT ointment that is already on hand as opposed to delaying treatment for ability to get to vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.
Hello Jason, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Jason, Sorry to hear your Big Poodle, but hopefully this is something minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Unfortunately deafness has been commonly reported in cases of BNT use in dog's ears. It's thought that it's the Neomycin in the product that causes the hearing loss. While this only happens in a minority of cases it would be best not to take the risk. 2. Your best way forward would be to have your dog's ears examined by a vet at the earliest opportunity and a safer product prescribed. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, thank you. The dog is 500 miles away with a trainer so just nervous not being able to take him to personal vet and next opportunity for non-emergency vet will be a couple weeks.
Hello again Jason, Maybe you could pick up something suitable from your local vet and send it by post or DHL ? Sorry I cannot safely suggest any home remedies as these can often make ears worse but BNT ointment is best avoided ... Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how your Poodle is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his ear problem ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.