How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 9147
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate a large mouse that was poisned with

Customer Question

my dog ate a large mouse that was poisned with bromethalin,he weighs about 30lbs.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.I'm sorry for this concern for your dog. As you may have read if you researched bromethalin, it can be quite nasty stuff when directly ingested by a dog or cat; fortunately this isn't the problem with your dog. The condition you are concerned about is called relay toxicosis...ingestion of a mouse which had been killed by a rodenticide which then could, in turn, cause harm for the dog who ingested the mouse. There's a very slight possibility for a dog to develop signs depending on the amount of bait ingested by the mouse but in most cases, it would require multiple dosings ...multiple mice ingested at one time for this to be a problem.One good thing about bromethalin is that it takes a lot more bait per pound of body weight to be toxic to dogs when compared to anticoagulants (such as D-con) so it's extremely unlikely that a single rodent would pose a risk for even a small dog or even a cat (cats are much more sensitive to bromethalin than dogs).In other words, you shouldn't have anything to worry about in terms of toxicity for your dog. But if you want to be absolutely safe, then you could induce vomiting if you have fresh 3% hydrogen peroxide (it should bubble and fizzle) and it's been within 1-2 hours since your dog ingested the mouse. The dose would be 1 tsp for 10 pounds of body weight which would be 3 teaspoons for a 30 lb dog. Give with bread and walk him around.The dose could be repeated in 15 minutes if necessary. Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most will. I hope this helps to reassure you about your dog. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.
Hello again,I'm just checking in on your dog. How are things going with him? Deb

Related Dog Veterinary Questions