Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 10 year labradoodle woke up coughing up white mucous then

Customer Question

my 10 year labradoodle woke up coughing up white mucous then ate and felt better but at 9p.m. started bleeding out and we took him to the emergency room and he passed at 2:00 in the morning. What could have caused this sudden death?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mo?
Customer: no we had just had his liver level checked and everything was fine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
My condolences for your loss of Mo. Can you clarify from which body orifice(s) he bled from? In general, uncontrolled bleeding through external orifices in an adult will be found to result from an anticoagulant rodenticide poisoning or thrombocytopenia (decreased blood platelets). Hemophilia and coagulopathies due to other blood factor deficiencies aren't expected at 10 years of age. Thrombocytopenia may be idiopathic (unknown cause but suspected to be immune-mediated) or found in conjunction with autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) which is then termed Evan's syndrome. Can you clarify for me why his liver was checked, please?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He was throwing up some blood but solid blood was spraying from rectum. They said his levels were high so they wanted to check his level through lab work it came back normal
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
On his liver prior to this event
Thank you. Poisoning and thrombocytopenia remain the most important differential diagnoses but disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) always needs to be considered in such a patient. DIC, however, is a secondary condition developing from an underlying primary disease such as infectious, inflammatory, neoplastic (cancer), or traumatic disorders. It's an acquired syndrome in which coagulation is abnormally and inappropriately activated. Depletion of platelets (as allluded to above) and coagulation factors can then cause bleeding.Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?