Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

Dosage of Benadryl with diphenhydramine 6# ***** dog

Customer Question

dosage of Benadryl with diphenhydramine for a 6# ***** dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about Munchkin's situation. She could be physically feeling irritated on her rear end due to the anal glands being expressed. The best thing that can be done to help relieve this is a quick rear end bath. This can be done with a warm, wet wash cloth and water. Getting any residual material off and the rinsing can help to ease irritation there. Patting dry after that should be done. When I use Diphenhydramine in a dog, I'm using it at a dose of 1 to 2 mg per pound two to three times a day. It can be used in cases of allergies and for reactions to such things as vaccines. When dealing with a possible vaccine reaction, if hives or facial swelling happen, then getting to your vet or an ER clinic is needed to get medications for it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Munchkin. How is everything going?