Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 16 year old collie/shepherd mix (mutt) Roxy is a happy

Customer Question

My 16 year old collie/shepherd mix (mutt) Roxy is a happy and always healthy dog. She's been pooping excessively over the past several weeks, generally 4-6 regular bowel movement per day. The poop is normal in size and consistency, but it is light in color. Once in awhile it can be kind of small and granular’ish.She has ALWAYS gone twice a day, so this is starting to concern me. Thankfully we have a fenced in yard so I can just let her out she doesn't usually have to go during the night. She never has accidents. My mother lives with me, so there is usually always someone here, so that helps.She's eating the same food she has for yrs (Pedigree wet food), which I'm sure is terrible because all the pet food is supposedly not great. She's always been a good eater, but has been somewhat picky the past month or so. It's not that she doesn't have an interest in eating, it's that she'd prefer people and cat food. We do give her a nibble here and there, and always have, so she doesn't eat a lot of people food in general.Other than the excessive amount of poop, she's seems happy and healthy. We go for walks and she plays with her toys. I had two other dogs who died over the past six months, one had to be put down just three weeks ago. I have to imagine this has had an affect on her. Another thing - she can’t hear, which I figured out within the past six months. Sometimes, I think she’s selectively deaf, but I’ve clanged pots together while she was sleeping, and she didn’t move a muscle. She may have limited hearing in one of her ears because sometimes it seems as if she can hear. I don’t know. I would think this hearing loss could be pretty upsetting for her.I have another concern about changes in her behaviour. Roxy is a herder and always kept track of our other dogs, especially her "sister" Amelie. Amelie was a ***** ***** and definitely the alpha dog of the family. She died six months ago from cancer. Since then, Roxy's come out of her shell and is doing things she wouldn't normally have done - nothing bad, just silly little things like eating cat food that's up on coffee table height tables. Amelie used to do that, but Roxy NEVER did.She's also become extremely demanding. My mother has a friend who comes over to have dinner with her several times a week, and we try to keep Roxy away from the kitchen during their mealtimes, because she won't stop begging. We'll close her in the family room WITH US and she starts pacing around when she knows it's their dinnertime. She recently has started to bark, just little, short, but firm barks, letting us know that she wants access to my mom and her friend. She won’t settle down, and we let her out when we can’t take it anymore. It's terribly irritating. She's also very demanding for walks, treats, and whatever people food she might like. Again, she's always been pushy, she's just WAY worse.Roxy’s always been a very good, well-behaved dog. It’s her nature to be a pleaser, so she’s never been tough to deal with. She usually would do the right thing, but now she’s like “I’m gonna do whatever I want, so there!”With these changes in behavior, she’s also kind of manic at times. I describe it as "hyping" around the house (it's a hyper energy), especially if I'm moving around a lot. She's always followed me, but it's even worse now. And sometimes she'll just pace around the house for no apparent reason. She just seems uneasy when she does it. On occasion, She’ll even kind of “gallop” around, with a lot of high energy. It would be cute, but it’s manic, and comes out of nowhere But, she’s a very good sleeper and probably sleeps a bit more then she used to when she was younger. She doesn’t get up in the middle of the night and wander around, etc..Sorry for the lengthy message,; I wanted to give you as much information as possible, so you can make a better assessment of what you think may be up with Roxy. So, I am concerned about the multiple bowel movements per day, as well as these changes in behavior I’ve described.Overall she seems very happy and may be enjoying being the only dog in the house. I have researched a bit about dementia, etc. in elderly dogs, and I don’t really think she is exhibiting signs of that, but something’s definitely going on. Any information you could provide me with would be extremely appreciated.Thanks - Amy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) When did her symptoms begin? 2) Are you seeing any weight loss? 3) Have any diagnostics been performed on her such as a fecal, blood work, a digestive profile?