Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has a lump on her neck JA: I'm sorry to hear that.

Customer Question

My dog has a lump on her neck
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Besa, almost 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Base?
Customer: yes, they did a biopsy but it came back as a hymo
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.
Can you upload a photo(s) of this lump to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I also need you to clarify "hymo" for me, please, and if a needle aspiration or surgical biopsy were performed on the lump.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Dr. Salkin,Unfortunately my dog is at the vet; therefore, can't upload a photo.We noticed a lump on our dog on the side of the neck. We took her to the vet and they did a biopsy with a needle to test. It came back inconclusive. She then did a biopsy and the lab said it was Hematoma. The vet said that it doesn't make sense to be Hematoma.Our dog will yelp if i touch her on the head or neck on the side of the tumor. Her energy seems to be low and she doesn't play as much as she usually does. We felt that the tumor was making her uncomfortable; therefore, got it removed. That is the reason she's at the vet now.The vet called and said that they can't take it out. It's around her juggler and many veins tendons in the area. It will have to be done by a specialist. She said it doesn't look cancerous because there wasn't a lot of blood when removing two biopsy to be sent to the lab.I'm concerned about our dogs energy and it hurts. Weird though that it doesn't hurt to touch the actual tumor, but more her head/ear on the same side as the tumor.Robert
Oh my, Robert. We'll both have to wait for the biopsy results to understand better what that tumor turns out to be and how Besa might be helped. The fact that it's avascular doesn't rule out malignancy, unfortunately. There are many tumors that have systemic effects such as Besa's lassitude. The biopsy will tell us if this one is one of those tumors. Please continue our conversation if you wish.