Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My dog is 14 yrs old and has been having weak/frequent

Customer Question

my dog is 14 yrs old and has been having weak/frequent urinary episodes and having accidents/leaking in the house. He has also been constipated for a week. I have been giving him 2 cranberry pills a day for 3 days (he is 100lbs) and giving him plenty of water. He drinks at least 2 gallons of water a day but eats only 2 full bowls of food (and if that). Is this something I should bring him to the vet about, or can I treat it?make him comfortable at home?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear about your fellow's urine leaking and accidents in the house and constipation. It sounds like his appetite is a bit off too, and that he is drinking more water than usual.Cranberry supplements are not very good at resolving urinary tract infections in dogs. They are more helpful in acidifying urine and preventing some types of crystal/calculi from forming and preventing some infections.In your fellow's case because he is having trouble passing stools normally I am concerned that the trouble isn't just an infection.I think that there are a few possible causes:1) the nerves that control passing urine and stool normally aren't functioning normally, thus the muscles in his urethra are weak and he dribbles, and ingesta isn't moving as it should through his intestinal tract leading to dry, hard, difficult to pass stools. A weak urethra can allow bacteria in, so he may have a secondary infection. This can be due to spinal arthritis, degenerative myelopathy or a mass affecting the spinal cord or its nerve roots.2) He has an enlarged prostate (can be old age hyperplasia, an infection, prostatic cysts or a tumor) which interferes with his ability to get ingesta past his prostate, and to pass urine normally.3) He has organ disease which is leading to dehydration (and thus dry, hard to pass stools) despite him drinking more (he can't keep up with demands) and has overflow incontinence simply because he is drinking a lot.I think your fellow needs to see his veterinarian to figure out why he is having the troubles he is, and what appropriate therapy is needed to help keep him comfortable. I don't think that this is something that you can help him with at home. They will examine him, likely want to run some blood tests (complete blood count and biochemistry profile), check a urine sample and may want to take abdominal radiographs or perform an abdominal ultrasound.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful I would appreciate an update on your pet, thank you, ***** *****