Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My pit puppy, Prince, has gotten some Milkweed or a bite (I

Customer Question

My pit bull puppy, Prince, has gotten some Milkweed or a bite (I don't know) Any home remedies?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. Unfortunately, there is not a home remedy for this poison. It can cause life threatening heart arrhythmias, gastrointestinal problems, life threatening potassium levels in the blood, tremors and seizures. It is a life threatening toxin that requires supportive care for treatment. This would include fluid therapy, medications to control arrhythmias, controlling electrolyte levels and medication for seizure if necessary. If he just ingested it, you can try giving 3% hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting. Usually 1ml per pound of body weight (1 tablespoon per 15 pounds). It can be repeated once in 10 minutes if no vomiting occurs. If he can vomit it up, it would help, but it doesn't mean that he didn't already absorb some of the toxins. From there, activated charcoal (not the pills you buy in stores) can be administered by your vet to absorb toxins and supportive care started. If you think there is a good chance he ate any of it, I would recommend getting him seen by your vet ASAP. You don't really want to wait for clinical signs to develop. It could be too late by that time. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.