Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has 75% of her liver operational according to testing

Customer Question

My dog has 75% of her liver operational according to testing and my vet's explanation of the values. He says it is a mild elevation and she is 15 yrs old and almost 16. She is a golden retriever/chow and if very sweet...sweetest dog ever and I have 3. He said to feed her a low protein diet and I read to feed her rice and pasta. Can you advise as to things to feed her that I can make and buy. She does not really want to eat unless I cook her/crockpot chicken or have some sort of real meat for her on her food and then she will not eat her hard food until the night when she is starving since she only ate mainly the meat in the morning.
Also the vet says there is some help with a ntuaral bacteria called Azoydl if I wanted to try it. Do you know anything about it?
Thank you for your help!
Mduke, LPC, CSAC
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can review those results. I also note which testing should have been performed but wasn't; for example, liver function is assessed by serum bile acid testing. Elevations in liver enzymes tell us nothing about how well the liver is functioning.Azodyl contains three beneficial bacteria: Enterococcus thermophilus, Lactobacilus acidophilus, and Bifidobacterium longum and a prebiotic (psyllium). According to the manufacturer (Vetoquinol) it can be used to support normal renal health. There are no controlled studies that support such a claim, however, and whether or not it would be helpful for hepatic disorders is unknown. The best I can tell you is that it wouldn't be harmful. Please take a look a this chicken-based balanced home-cooked recipe you might offer her should a significant liver condition be present: chicken, breast, without skin, cooked, 6 ouncespasta, enriched, cooked, 2 cupspeas, frozen, cooked, 2 cupscanola oil, 8 tspsalt substitute (potassium chloride), 2/3 tspbone meal powder, 2 tspsal, iodized (sodium chloride), 1/8 tspmultivitamin & mineral tablet, kids complete, 1 eachzinc, 100 mg tablet, 1/2 tabletarginine powder, 1.5 g per tsp, 1/4 tspkelp, 150 mcg iodine per tablet, 3 tabletsThis provides 1307 kcal as prepared - the daily requirement for a 96 lb dog. Uneaten food can be refrigerated for 3 days or frozen indefinitely while checking for spoilage. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called out is her kidneys. So sorry. I was sick the day I went so called to get info and out is kidneys.
Thank you. Azodyl hasn't proven to be of value in renal insufficiency. Another product by Vetoquinol called Epakitin, however, has been found to be of value as a phosphorus binder and may reduce the amount of toxins in her GI tract which her kidneys then wouldn't have to deal with. Here's a chicken based balanced home-cooked recipe appropriate for renal insufficiency:chicken breast, skinless, cooked, 3 ouncesrice, white, long-grain, cooked, 3 dupsegg, large, hard-boiled, 1 eachcanola oil, 4 tspsalt substitute (potassium chloride), 1/2 tspbaking soda substitute (calcium carbonate), 1/2 tspsalt, iodized (sodium chloride), 1/4 tspmultivitamin & mineral tablet, kids complete, 1 eachzinc, 100 mg tabletThis provides a total kcal as prepared of 1003 kcal - the daily requirement for a 67 lb dog. Uneaten food can be refrigerated for 3 days or frozen indefinitely while checking for spoilage. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?