Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a poodle who is having some troubles with walking around

Customer Question

I have a poodle who is having some troubles with walking around and this morning she was kinda had a seizure sort of thing and now I see her having unsteady legs and she has been having cataracts and is on vetmedin and lasix...she had a abscess that our Vet said it was more dangerous to remove it than leave it. All she has been doing all night long is bark and sh8ver...i am totally thinking that this all could be a result of the abcess and I am wondering what the symptoms of sepsis or septic shock are...??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
By definition animals with sepsis have derangements in one or more components of their temperature/pulse/respiration:Fever - greater than 103F or hypothermia - less than 100FTachycardia - greater than 120-140 heart beats/minute or bradycardia - less than 80 heart beats/minutePulse and mucous membrane alterations - injected/red mucous membranes and bounding pulse or pallor, slow capillary refill time and weak pulseTachypnea - more than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at restSeptic shock is defined as sepsis with concurrent hypotension (low blood pressure) that is refractory to fluid therapy and requires vasopressor therapy (drugs that boost blood pressure).If your dog is ataxic ("drunken sailor") and has appeared to suffer a seizure you need to have her vet attend to her at your earliest convenience. Barking and shivering all night might indicate status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't stop unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. Finally, all abscesses need to be attended to. We don't "watchful wait" infections. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.