Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He has a skin complaint which at the moment is irriating he

Customer Question

he has a skin complaint which at the moment is irriating he products to much yeast and they weather is not helping i am giving him 1 and half tablet a day starting now as he is ten this year iam worried about side effects its ceporex 250mg ..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: he is very restless at they moment he cannot relax ..
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. First, I would note that Ceporex is very safe to use and the only side effects are short term ones (ie appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea). So, we'd not be worried about that if he doesn't have those signs.That said, Ceporex is an antibiotic and isn't going to be of much use for an overgrowth of yeast. Instead, you'd be best speaking to his vet about using Malaseb. This is a very good antimicrobial shampoo that most vets carry and its great for keeping yeast proliferation at bay. We often use it on the skin (either spot cleaning problem areas or full baths) 1-2 times a week to start and then drop down to as often as needed.Finally, if he is itchy and irritated, you can try soothing this for him with an over the counter antihistamine. Most commonly we use Piriton/Chlorphenamine ( 4-8mg every 8-12 hours). We do like to keep the dose low to start since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Overall, I wouldn't be worried at his age about side effects from the Ceporex if he tolerates it well and has no gut upset. Still, if this has been diagnosed as a yeast problem; then Ceporex may not really need to be given here and we'd need to consider systemic anti-fungals (though often we do try to avoid those if possible) but also the Malaseb since it can safely manage yeast issues (as well as mild bacterial ones) for our dogs and keep them comfortable. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )