PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog started scratching more than usual several weeks ago

Customer Question

My dog started scratching more than usual several weeks ago and has developed several areas near his mouth and behind his shoulder that are missing hair with sores. He feels warmer around his armpits and has become more lethargic. We are located in a remote area of alaska and vet visits are difficult to come by. Ive done some looking on the internet and the pictures and symptoms seem to be indicative of mange; maybe sarcoptic?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 5 months ago.
I am so sorry to hear about Ray's scratching right now. Although I am not able to diagnose Ray via the internet, I understand the difficulty of being far away from care. If you can obtain a complete TPR (temperature via rectal thermometer, pulse (feel for the femoral pulse on the inside of the back leg near the groin or just feel the heart beating and count for 60 seconds), and respiratory rate (count breaths for 60 seconds) that can be very helpful. I would stop using hydrogen peroxide as it can damage healthy tissues and is painful for some individuals. Has Ray had exposure to any fox or other animals that may have mange? If so, then I would contact the veterinarian that you generally do work with and speak to them about treatment options, ideally a skin scrape would be used to diagnose it though. If you scratch or rub the tips of Ray's ears, does Ray do anything? If so, let me know what he does.
Since I have not heard back from you, I will open up this discussion for another veterinarian to speak with you.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Jacob, if you have other questions. Please let us know.