Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

The diagnosis from the vet is operation to fix the ruptured

Customer Question

The diagnosis from the vet is for an operation to fix the ruptured tendon in the knee of my dog'.s back leg However the recuperation is to have her in a cage for at least a fortnight with little movement .Then to limit all movement as much as possible .otherwise u could undo the operation .I understand however I could not put my little poddle in a cage for that long .She would have a fit & probably do herself an injury.i think her personality would not forgive me for caging her Have u got some sort of solution .I have her on inflamatory pills appreciate an idea to my problem .--Milly's mum
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. If Milly has torn her cruciate, then surgery is the best option for helping her regain pain-free use of that leg. That said, I completely understand how daunting the recovery can be.Though you don't necessarily have to cage rest her. You can restrict her to a small room where there is nothing she could jump up on and thus reinjure the leg. Or you can even fence off a part of the room you are in with a baby gate or mobile dog pen (example). I find as these options aren't nearly as closed in as the cage/dog crate option, dogs tend to tolerate them better.As well, of course, when you are home to supervise her she'd not have to stay in any of these. We would need to keep a close eye +/- keep a lead on her in the house so you can control how much she is moving about and prevent any jumps onto furniture. But if you are there to keep her from any mischief, then she can be out and enjoying her resting time with you. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi Miria Bailey,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Milly. How is everything going?

nekovet