Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

12 pound puppy ate a small piece of tom cat rat bait

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help.Most of the Tom Cat rat baits have bromethalin as their active ingredient. This is a toxin that does not have an antidote so there is reason to be concerned. However, it takes quite a bit of bait to be fatal. I can do some math and tell you how much bait typically causes toxicity in a 12 pound dog. But even in dogs that have ingested less than the generally considered toxic dose, I still recommend taking them to a veterinarian to induce vomiting and get some activated charcoal. Give me a minute to calculate the average toxic dose for your dog.
Okay... generally it would take 3mg of bromethalin to cause toxicity in a dog this size. Most bait is .01% bromethalin... so that would contain just under 3mg per ounce. So, a 12 pound dog would need to eat a whole ounce of bait to get a toxic dose.If you have the packaging then you might be able to confirm that bromethalin is the active ingredient and that it is .01%. If you confirm all that and he ate less than an ounce then you are probably fine, but to be on the safe side, I'd try to find an emergency vet to induce vomiting tonight.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy