Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

My dog got bit today killing groundhog. He's had all his shots.

Customer Question

My dog got bit today killing groundhog. He's had all his shots. What do I put on bite doesn't seem to be bothering him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rocky 8 year old male Australian Shepard
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?
Customer: He tested positive for ticks several years ago when we first got him. Was not in active state so vet said well keep checking his urine. We need to do this now since we just returned from 3 months at our Florida home. We never take him to dog parks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! Can you tell me how large the wound is? Is it very deep? Groundhogs can have very large teeth that could penetrate deeply depending on the bite, so oral antibiotic therapy may be warranted which would require a visit to your vet, if the wound is deep.

Will your dog allow you to examine and clean it well yet? I would recommend cleaning it thoroughly- if it is a deep wound, then flushing it out if you have a syringe you can fill with fluid will help dislodge any material that could be deep inside the wound (if your dog won't let you do this, then this is another reason to visit the vet). A triple antibiotic ointment, such as neosporin, can then be applied to the area. If it is very superficial this may be adequate, but if it is deeper then this may not be enough.

Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay