Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog has diarrhea with blood in it but she feels great. What

Customer Question

my dog has diarrhea with blood in it but she feels great. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 3- Any other symptoms? 4- How old is Scooby?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
three days i dont think so no she feels great 1 yr
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that is all.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, when we see blood with diarrhea it is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, in a puppy common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, etc.In this case, I would strongly recommend having your family veterinarian examine a stool sample as initial screening test. In the meantime this is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body. In addition, pepto bismol will make the bleeding worst. 2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet. Keep him indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and fecal analysis. In addition, discuss with your vet about starting him on a medication called Metronidazole, this is an antibiotic that will help with the inflammation. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Scooby. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter