Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I've just noticed that my dog's lymph nodes are swollen. His

Customer Question

I've just noticed that my dog's lymph nodes are swollen. His appetite is fine and he's eager to walk, but I'm concerned about this swelling.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Which lymph nodes are swollen?

About how large are they?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They are swollen underneath his front legs. They are about two inches I would say, but they decreased from the time I first noticed the swelling.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Thanks. Do these swellings start way up in the armpit area?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the arm pits are swollen.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the information. The lymph nodes in the armpits are very far up there. If you can feel them, they are enlarged. My biggest concern would be lymphoma. The problem is that the nodes will not usually get smaller with lymphoma, unless they are on some type of treatment for them. A mast cell tumor that has spread to the lymph nodes may get larger and smaller because the actual tumor can do that. The other cause of lymph nodes swelling would be infection or severe inflammatory response, such as an immune system mediated disease. Anytime you have enlarged lymph nodes, it is always wise to have them checked out and get them aspirated by the vet to see what type of cells they contain. It is a good way to rule in or out cancer in most circumstances. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.