Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have two dogs who have warts on the top of the heads. Can

Customer Question

I have two dogs who have warts on the top of the heads. Can I use Compound W to remove them?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: The mama is Buffy and her daughter is Starlet. Buffy is about 12 and her baby is around 6 years old, give or take a few years.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buffy?
Customer: No. The dogs, both of them are in excellent shape. They are my "children" so I keep them in the house most of the time and let them run around the yard when I am outside, since we have a swimming pool in the back yard.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! I understand that you likely consider the warts to be unpleasing to the eye, and they tend to become problematic when your pet gets groomed or scratches them and they bleed or become scabby in nature. Unfortunately, other than routine surgical removal or cryofreeze by a veterinarian with a safe device, there is not alot you can do SAFELY to keep the little growths to a minimum. They recur quickly and can spread anywhere on the skin. These papillomas are not to be confused with sebaceous adenomas, mind you. SA's will typically not respond to "wart treatment". I do not recommend using most topical Wart medications, because they work by cauterizing or burning your pet's skin. As dog's skin is quite different than ours, I would be concerned that the chemicals would be much to harsh and you could harm your pet!! Your vet may also be able to remove the warts without full anesthesia. ( I do! ) At my practice, we use a LASER or Liquid Nitrogen (cryofreeze I mentioned above) to safely and effectively control papillomas. Local skin blocks with lidocaine are well tolerated for this procedure and the appointment does not take more than 30 minutes on average Talk to your vet about the options and please be sure you are dealing with true warts or papillomas and not adenomasPlease let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman