Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 4 toy poodle ate garlic sauce that is mixture of garlic

Customer Question

My 4 toy poodle ate garlic sauce that is mixture of garlic and mayo, my guess it might of been 1-2 teaspoon of it...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Do you know how much garlic was mixed into the sauce (ie grams)?How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Honestly I don't know because it was in a sandwich that I bought from a restaurant, she weight between 4-5 maybe less than 5
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
No worries about that. Though can you tell me if she is 4 pounds or kilograms?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pounds
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you,I will now type a quick reply and post it in full in a moment.Dr. B
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you,Now you are right to be concerned here. Considering her weight and the volume she has ingested this would be a low to moderate risk situation. The reason we cannot narrow it further is because we cannot be sure just how much garlic was in the sauce. As I do have to consider the worst case scenario (so basing my calculations on this being all garlic) in these cases, I would note that we could certainly see GI upset (appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea), but there is a smaller risk that this could also cause a progressive anemia (rupture her red blood cells) over the next week or so. With this in mind and since she did just have this so recently, I would suggest inducing vomiting at this stage. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing if any local vet (or ER vet) could see her so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues. As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here. Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Overall, we do want to tread with care here since she is quite small and we just cannot be sure how much garlic was in the sauce. So, while it likely was Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the response, she already committed it, I don't think it's all of it, so should I repeat the process again,and what if some of it had already been absorbed by her bloodstream, it happened less than an hour ago. Bot***** *****ne is, given that she already threw up , do you think she is still under serious risk as far as her life
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry I meant to say she already threw up
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
You are very welcome,That is very good news! With it being such a recent ingestion, anything she brings up is less than can cause her harm. In regards ***** ***** next step, it does depend on how much you think she brought up. If you think she brought up about half, I'd be much less worried and do feel that we could just treat for any GI upset and keep an eye that her gums stay pink. Though if it was less, then I'd be tempted to try to get her to vomit again just to reduce that risk for Ivy.Best wishes,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** it may be a little bit less than half, we tried to induce vomit again but this time she did not throw up, should we try it a third time or do you believe she is fine
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
You are very welcome,Since she did bring up quite a bit and again I did calculate the dose of it being full garlic as a precaution, if you don't think it was very garlicky we are likely ok to just monitor. Otherwise, if it was very much so then we can try one more time to just see if we can get her to vomit before just focusing on supportive care while monitoring her.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She just threw up again, now it is definitely more than half, but her tongue is kind of purplish and her gum is not pink, is that something to be concerned about that
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi, What color are her gums? Is it normal for her?Do you mean that she has pigmented gums naturally (you can roll her lower eyelid down to check her perfusion if she does)?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The eyelids are light pink but pale and same for the gum, which is light pink but pale, her tongue is purplish though
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi again,Tongue color doesn't tend to be a great indicator of anemia or perfusion. So, we need to always interpret it with care. Though I am a bit concerned about her appearing pale. Its too soon to have anemia issues from the garlic (that takes days to weeks to cause bother). Therefore, would you say she is breathing normally? Any coughing, sputtering, or issues post vomit? Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
How is everything going with Ivy?Dr. B.