Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Right under my dogs ears is very tender. He cries when you

Customer Question

Right under my dogs ears is very tender. He cries when you touch it. Hes the type of d. That loves his ears being rubbed and now you cant touch them. He looks so upset. Can this be allergies? The inside of the ears looks clean and clear of infection
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. What allergy pill did you give? What milligrams? How long ago?How much does he weigh?Any redness in that ear?Is the other ear sore as well?Any appetite loss or oral discomfort?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Lost his appetite but will take human food but cries alittle chewing. Theres no redness. Hes about 95lbs. He had his allergy pill about an hour ago its a generic 25mg.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,Was it Diphenhydramine (generic Benadryl)?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Judt says allergy on the bottle
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you again, First, just to note, if we did have allergies here then the dose you used was quite low. In fact, it was less then half the minimum therapeutic dose we'd use in a dog his size. So, it wouldn't likely have an effect here. Therefore, if we did want to rule out allergies with antihistamines, we'd need to be giving at least 47.5mg of Diphenhydramine to do so (and if the bottle doesn't say, then it'd be ideal to get Diphenhydramine/Benadryl to make sure we know what we are giving). Otherwise, while the ear canal is just below the ear itself, I am concerned that this may not be an ear based issue. We could, of course, have a foreign body (ie foxtail, grass seed, etc) in the base of the canal which could certainly cause these signs. But his behavior and selective appetite loss suggest that the discomfort could be centered in the jaw or even mouth. And in that case, we'd need to be wary of tooth root abscesses, jaw infections, inflammation of the TMJ (the muscle bed that holds the jaw together), or even a mass (ie hematoma, abscess, tumor, etc) in the deeper tissues of this area. With this all in mind and since he is very sore, we do need to tread with care. Ideally, we'd want to have this checked by his vet at this stage. That way we can pinpoint which is present and treat it before it can progress or cause him to lose weight. If it is just inflammation, steroids can reduce this. If an infection is isolated, antibiotics +/- removal of any involved teeth would settle this. If something is caught in the ear canal it can be removed to stop his discomfort. Otherwise in the meantime, I'd note that since he is only risking pain while eating for things he really likes, we do need to make eating as easy as possible for him. To do so, we can offer calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned puppy food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Dogsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. These will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in and counter any risk of weight loss while we work to settle this for him. Overall, the signs of discomfort you have reported do raise some serious concerns. This doesn't sound like allergies (especially without any redness) and therefore we do need to tread with care. So, you can try the more appropriate dose of antihistamine or even flush his ear gently with cool water to remove any foreign bodies. But if this is lingering and affecting his eating, we'd want to have these other issues checked for so that we can nip them in the bud and get him comfortable again. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jeanie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello,How is everything with your wee one?Dr. B.