Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have two 12 lb mixed breed dogs, ages 2 1/2 and 3 1/2. The

Customer Question

I have two 12 lb mixed breed dogs, ages 2 1/2 and 3 1/2. The only real problem is that the older one wakes up and forces me to get up around 4 am. I'd like to try melatonin, which I take myself just before bedtime. Any thoughts will be welcome.
Thanks,
Stephen Crout ***@******.***
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.
Hello Stephen, Thanks for requesting me, this is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Stephen, I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. This approach is well worth a try, melatonin has been used to help sleep patterns in dogs that are very active at night and not sleeping at the right time. This sometimes occur in dogs ( sundowner syndrome ) Basically melatonin helps re-sets the animal’s biological clock. 2. In any case melatonin is a very safe and wholesome sort of drug with a very high margin of safety in dogs, so basically if it does not do any good the chances are it will not do any harm to your dog. You want to try it for three weeks or so and see if it helps. 3. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers the use of melatonin in dogs in some depth including dose rates etc. : LINK I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Stephen,I am just checking back in to see how your dogs are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning Melatonin ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Stephen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?