Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He is an 8 year old dachshund and just a few hours ago we went

Customer Question

He is an 8 year old dachshund and just a few hours ago we went to feed him dinner and he did not want to eat but after sittingin front of his bowl for a wwhile he ate very slow then just layer there then we took him outside and he wondered for a while seemed disoriented and weak and kept stretching his body he then had a normal bm and came inside and drank tons of water at least 3 separate times and he has been laying down since and every few minutes reajusting himself and seems very uncomfortable. He also flinches quite a bit when I touch his stomach area.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dachshund will be able to digest that. What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Mozart
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mozart?
Customer: He was diagnosed with a small heart murmur. Also showed signs of possible pancreatitis at last vet visit. He also is a little over weight he needs to loose 2-3 pounds.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. First, I do have to say that I am quite concerned about Mozart.His stretching and stomach discomfort along with the lacklustre appetite and increased drinking does raise some serious concerns. Specifically, I'd be wary of a pancreatitis, severe gastroenteritis, or a possible harmful ingestion (sharp or caustic items or even toxins/chemicals or dangerous plants). All could cause these signs and would trigger the pain signs (stretching, tenderness at the belly) you have reported. Now if he is very sore, has pale gums, or there is a chance he ate something dangerous, we'd want him seen urgently. Otherwise, if there is any delay we can try a bit of supportive care for him. To start, you can try to reduce any lurking nausea with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if he has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And I would note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet. If he an settle, then we can plan to try a light diet with him. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give him 30 minutes to settle. If he keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As his stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and can also help with pancreatitis (which is often triggered by fatty food ingestion). As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until his signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet. Overall, Mozart's signs raise a few concerns at this stage. So, we need to tread with care. If he is very sore or those more serious issues I noted are likely, we'd want him seen now. Otherwise, you can try the above to soothe his gut but we do need to keep a close eye on him. If he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, check bloods to ensure his organs are working as they should, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication, gut safe pain relief, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself. All the best, ***** you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
his gums are normal and he has regular bm and no vomiting. He slept ok over night. I did forget to mention he is known to try and eat our other dogs (1 year old dachshund) stool. He has done this multiple times before without issues. But we always try and stop him of coarse. Anyway now I'm trying to decide weather or not I should leave him home alone or stay home from work.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,I am glad to hear that his gums are fine and that he hasn't those other signs. Though while eating stool from other dogs could cause GI upset, it'd not explain his disorientation/weakness. As well, if that were our culprit, I suspect he'd have vomited or had diarrhea. So, we do just need to keep an eye even if he has done this quite a bit. And in this case, it may be worth keeping an eye if you can but also using those supportive measures we discussed.Best wishes for Mozart,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He does seem much better this morning, more like himself other then has had a small amount of diarrhea and taking a lot longer to defecate.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
drinking lots of water still.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
That is positive to hear and hopefully it was just a dietary indiscretion that had him unsettled. Though do keep an eye on that possible straining. It may just be colonic irritation related to the loose stool, but blockages can appear similarly. Otherwise, that increased thirst could be related to inflammation/infection but we do need to tread with care if it continues (or his urine looks dilute) since that can also be a feature of kidney or liver issues.Please take care,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He has a normal bm and then followed by some diarrhea. Lots of drinking and peeing though.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
I did see your mention of that, but again the straining may be related to the irritation of that bit of loose stool. As well, depending on how many hours have passed, we could still be seeing feces that was present in the gut before any blockage started. So, both are still concerns and again the colitis or other organ issues could trigger that increased thirst/urination.Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
How is everything going with Mozart?Dr. B.