Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My dog Charlie is 15/7month he was prescribed tussigon 5mg

Customer Question

My dog Charlie is 15/7month he was prescribed tussigon 5mg but make the mistake and gave him one hole pill.should I rushed to
. The emergency hospital
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Charlie received a higher than recommended dose of Tussigon.I think that there was an error transcribing what you wrote, as I'm not sure what " 15/7month" means, and I have some questions for you.How old is Charlie?How much does he weigh?What was the recommended dose?Why was he prescribed Tussigon?Does he have any long term health issues or complicating factors I should be aware of?How long ago was the pill given?How is he behaving now?Do you have any 3% hydrogen peroxide?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Tussigon contains an opiate type drug to decrease coughing as well as a drug to slow respiratory secretions.The usual dose is 0.1 mg to 0.25 mg per pound of body weight every 6 to 12 hours. A 5mg tablet would be appropriate for a 20 to 50 pound dog. We do need to use caution using this drug in dogs that have heart disease, an infection in the chest, kidney disease or low thyroid function.Side effects from the drug include sedation, constipation, and vomiting. If a high dose is given they can get overly sleepy and not breathe as deeply or as fast as they should. If a very high dose is given it is possible to cause a coma like state. That would be pretty uncommon with a one time 5mg dose, even with a small dog.If your pup weighs at least 15-20 pounds in all likelihood your pup will just be sleepier than usual, so you do need to keep him away from stairs and off furniture so he doesn't fall and hurt himself, and he may have some mild constipation. In most cases with a one time slightly higher than usual dose he will be back to himself in 24 hours.You might want to add a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just plain pumpkin) and water/broth to his meals for the next day or so to avoid constipation.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****