Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My name is ***** ***** my puppy just ate a wipe with

Customer Question

Hello, my name is ***** ***** my puppy just ate a wipe with clorox
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your puppy will be able to digest that. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Lennon
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lennon?
Customer: well no, he is pretty healthy. Just that what could happen after he ate a clorux wipe
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your pup Lennon ate something he should not have, a Chlorox wipe.These do have detergents in them which can be mildly irritating and can cause some nausea. More of concern is that they are absorbent and can expand a bit in the juices of the gastrointestinal system, and they can get wadded up and cause an obstruction, especially if he's a little breed. It may pass but if he just ate it, within the past 2-3 hours, it's worth trying to get him to vomit it back up.You can give 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight mixed with bread chunks or ice cream (no more than 3 tablespoons even if he weighs more than 35 pounds).Then take him outside and run him around to get the peroxide bubbling so he vomits.If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.If he vomits and seems to clear his stomach and be done I would check to see if the pieces are present. Once he finishes vomiting and empties his stomach to try and settle his stomach today you can give either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach.Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber whether he vomits most of the foreign material back up or not to help push the remaining pieces through.If you don't have peroxide you can get him to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.If he doesn't vomit it back up and you choose not to take him to an emergency clinic still use the bland diet with pumpkin to try and get the pieces to pass.If it has been several hours since he ate the wipe it is likely too late to induce vomiting, the pieces will likely be out of his stomach. All you can do at that point is watch him closely. If he starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a blockage and he should be seen by a veterinarian immediately. Surgery may be needed at that point.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****