Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have an American pit . She is three years old and was

Customer Question

I have an American pit bull. She is three years old and was adopted from a local shelter. She was found at a puppy mill where she had several litters. She has been spade, is up to date on vaccinations, and had soft pallet surgery about a month and a half ago. When we first got her she didn't have this problem but now recently the top of her head has been rapidly pulsating as if she has a heart under her skin. It looks alien like. I don't believe it's seizures or is painful because, she goes about whatever she is doing like it isn't even happening. But it's seriously freaking me out!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Honey.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Honey?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Both simple partial seizure (also called petit mal) and sporadic myoclonus - sudden contraction of a muscle group such as a facial twitch - need to be considered. Sporadic myoclonus may be benign or may represent focal seizure activity. It can be difficult differentiating one from the other. In general, involuntary muscle contractions are distinguished from a seizure in the following way: involuntary muscle contractions aren't associated with autonomic dysfunction (urination, defecation, salivation), they are assoicated with normal mentation, and they can be consistent with a described clinical syndrome of muscle contractions. In some cases, like patients with seizures, a patient with a clinical syndrome of involuntary muscle contractions may respond to an anticonvulsant trial.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?