Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog ate grout mix it looks like maybe a spoon full or more

Customer Question

My dog ate grout mix it looks like maybe a spoon full or more and he weighs 20 pounds
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jackson and he is 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jackson?
Customer: He seems hot and looks like he has red spots on his belly. Also keeps moving around like he can't get comfortable and itchy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Grout generally is composed of non-toxic water, cement, sand, often color tint, and sometimes fine gravel. Jackson might experience gastrointestinal distress from ingesting such an unusual "food" but a hypersensitivity reaction such as fever and "red spots", and pruritis (itchiness) isn't expected. Could he have ingested anything else? If he ingested this within the hour, inducing emesis with 4 measuring teaspoons (20 mL) of 3% hydrogen peroxide is indicated. He should vomit within 15 minutes after your dosing him with a small poultry baster placed between his cheek teeth and cheek. Once he has vomited, encouraging fluid intake in an attempt to dilute the grout would be prudent. Bouillons and broths rather than milk or cream (calcium containing fluids which could increase congealing of the grout) are good choices. If he doesn't vomit, repeat the same dose.