Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Should I give my dog acess to water after eating holly tim

Customer Question

Should I give my dog acess to water after eating holly time?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. Was this Holly Tone the organic fertiliser? { eating holly time? } ? You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes the organic
Hello again Cheryl Hopefully this will be a minor incident for Casey, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. " Should I give my dog access to water after eating holly time? " : Yes that's fine, no problem with letting your dog have access to water in this sort of situation. 2. I have checked this product out in the past and the information I was given was that it is considered organic and nontoxic to dogs. so clearly your dog will not be in any serious sort of situation but you may see a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea over the next 48 hours. Of course if gastro-enteritis does set in and you become concerned then you should have your local vet check Casey over, however with milder cases you may be able to handle it in the following way. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINKSome owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me furtherRegards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. I will keep a close eye on him.
Hi Cheryl, Chances are that Casey will be just fine but get back to me if you need to ... Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Cheryl,I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Holly Tone incident ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Casey. How is everything going?