Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

He has had a small lump in his armpit , it hasnt

Customer Question

He has had a small lump in his armpit for awhile, it hasnt grown but now he has a limp.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: he was chasing a rabbit and afterwards the limp started
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your pup has a limp and a lump - I will do my best to help. Please allow me 5-10 minutes to type out my thoughts for you. Feel free to add any additional info or extra questions while you wait.Thanks~Dr. Sara
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your patience. In general, lumps and bumps on the outside of the dog are frequently benign, meaning that they aren't a major concern in terms of cancer. Having said that, though, there are a percentage of masses on the outside of a dog that can be malignant, and there are also those that are benign but cause an issue because they are either growing very large, interfering with important structures like nerves or blood vessels, or they are continually breaking open and bleeding. An experienced vet can often get an idea of what a lump could be just by looking at it and feeling it. If I’m not exactly sure what a mass is, I’ll sometimes do what we call a fine needle aspirate, which is where we get some tissue for microscopic examination using a small needle. This can help differentiate between benign and malignant types of masses. In cases where I think that the mass is malignant or will continue to cause problems based on its location or behavior (ie: whether it’s broken open/bleeding or bothering the dog in any other way) I recommend removal of the mass. Given the history of your pup having come up lame after chasing a rabbit, I'd suspect that the limp is unrelated to the mass. It takes a mass of significant size to cause a limp. Most commonly limping is caused by a soft tissue strain or sprain - just like it would be in us. This is especially true of a pet who "overdoes it" with an activity. More severe limping can be due to a fracture, an infection like lyme disease, or a bone tumor, but these are less common than your run-of-the-mill strain/sprain type of injury. If the limping doesn't steadily improve over the next few days or if he's completely unable to bear weight on that leg, that's when I'd seek veterinary care. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions please simply reply with your follow up questions. I would be happy to continue chatting. If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Doc Sara