Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My frenchie has been growing up since this morning. Now she

Customer Question

My frenchie has been growing up since this morning. Now she just poop and is dark blood
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: LILO and she is 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lilo?
Customer: i noticed that she ate some grass yesterday
JA: The Veterinarian will know if Lilo will be able to digest that. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear about your Lilo vomiting since this morning and now passing dark, bloody stool.Eating grass juts means that she is nauseous. You should not let her eat any more as that will only stimulate her to vomit more.Of course anyone would be concerned about blood in the stool. The fresher the blood appears the closer the source is to her rectum, so in her case it sounds like it is from the small intestine or proximal colon (closer to the small intestine) because it is dark. When we see bloody diarrhea the important factor in all of this is how your girl feels otherwise. If she felt great then would be a good sign. But because she has been vomiting all day I am very, very concerned. She is probably getting very dehydrated by now. There is a condition in dogs called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. These dogs have profuse dark, jelly-clot like, bloody diarrhea. They are often vomiting too and are very sick dogs. These pups get dehydrated quickly so they need immediate care. Thus because she has been vomiting all days, especially if she seems lethargic too, an emergency veterinary visit is best.Other possible causes for her symptoms include an abrupt change in diet, parasites, a viral or bacterial infection, eating something she should not have (spoiled food, bones, a toy piece), inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. Rarely a mass in the colon can be the cause, or exposure to toxins. If you cannot have her seen for some reason (no emergency clinics available) I can give you some suggestions to try and settle her stomach, but this isn't the best course of action.To help reduce nausea you can give either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and may help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. I would not feed her any food for 24 hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as she needs fluids after all that she has lost with vomiting and bloody stools. You can give her pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make his gastrointestinal irritation worse. Today even with the fast if she stops vomiting after giving the acid reducer you can start Kao-pectate at 1/2ml per pound of body weight or 1/2 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 8-12 hours. This will coat her irritated gi tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until her stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store. If she has a tense painful abdomen, continues to vomit, or continues to have diarrhea with no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 hours, becomes very lethargic, or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then he really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go. After her food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1-2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon. I recommend adding probiotics like Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac to her meals daily to re-establish normal gut bacteria levels too.Once she feels better (no vomiting or bloody diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in her regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back. If your pup continues vomiting and feeling poorly though it would be best that she see a veterinarian now on an emergency basis as anything you give orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration. Best of luck with your pup, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****