Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

He may have swallowed the end of a headphone cord, should

Customer Question

Hi, he may have swallowed the end of a headphone cord, should I be worried?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out.
Customer: He is still acting normal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No other problems , he seems to be a pretty healthy puppy otherwise
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Was it the metal part (plug)? 2- How long has it been since he swallowed it? 3- How much does he weigh? 4- Breed?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes, it was the metal part of the plug. It's been about 30 min. He's about 7 lbs and he's a vizsla
1- How old is he? 2- How big was the plug? 3- I will assume it had no sharp edges, correct? 4- How sure are you that he swallowed it or why do you think he ate it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He's about 7 weeks, small plug, end of a 3.5 mm auxiliary cord, about 80% sure he swallowed it since I can't find the other end
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, the concern is that the plug could become obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract. However, a 3.5 mm plug it is very likely he will be able to pass it in the stool. I don't feel comfortable instructed to induce vomiting with peroxide in a 7 week old puppy. Instead, this is what you can do: 1- Change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the plug out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract. 2- Make sure you are checking his stool during the next few days. If you do not find the plug in the feces during the next 48 hours I would have him checked by family vet for a quick abdominal xray to make certain the plug is not in his gastrointestinal tract. 3- If at any point you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe him and change his diet as above then wean him back into his regular My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter