Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I went home yesterday and found a cut on my 10 week old bulldog.

Customer Question

I went home yesterday and found a cut on my 10 week old bulldog. It looked fine when I went to work then when I got him there was a knot when I touched it abunch of puss came out. I squeezed it all out then cleaned it with a hot tag and hydrogen peroxide. Should I take him to the vet or continue to clean it and see how it is in the morning?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the bulldog bleeding a lot?
Customer: It's not bleeding at all and wasn't when I got home yesterday
JA: What is the bulldog's name?
Customer: His name is Clyde
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Clyde?
Customer: He has been acting normal since yesterday and is still acting fine now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Where is the cut?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's about his right eye
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, as you may already know if you are seeing pus the wound is infected. I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian, he may need oral antibiotics. In the meantime, do not use peroxide, it can make the wound or infection worst. Instead, just flush the wound with plain warm water; do your best in flushing out the pus. Then, apply a generous amount of topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this two times a day for the next 7-10 days. You can buy these topical antibiotic over the counter in any pharmacy. Follow up with family veterinarian. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you think I could wait a couple of days to see if the infection gets worse or at least until tomorrow? I just moved states so I would rather not go to an emergency vet
If the puppy is eating, drinking and not lethargic it can wait to see vet in the morning. For tonight, follow the above recommendations. Please reply if you have additional questions.