Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a doxie that is 8 and she had back surgery about 5 years

Customer Question

I have a doxie that is 8 and she had back surgery about 5 years ago and she is doung great all this time. Starting yesterday and today she is having a problem pooping she got a very tiny piece out what can i do to help her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Isabella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Isabella?
Customer: No we take her to the vet all the time. We have insurance on herbut dometimes it takes a couple days before they can see her
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now we need to tread with care if Isabella is struggling to pass stool. It is possible that this could be related to her spine but more often is something we see with general constipation, partial blockages, or when the normal fecal flow is impeded (ie by an enlarged organ or mass compressing the gut or something inside/thickened gut preventing it from passing). In this case, if these signs have just started and she isn't sore or distressed, there are some steps you can take to help her pas stool. To start, we can help relieve mild constipation by using some cow milk. This is because they are like little lactose intolerant people and therefore this can help move things down the gut a bit quicker.Or you can treat her with a dose of OTC cat hairball medication. This works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, we could also mix a small volume of a GI lubricant (ie Miralax, lactulose, or food grade mineral oil) into her food. Do avoid giving it directly, since we’d want to avoid any aspiration risk.Further to this, if she is eating you can mix in some fiber (ie a spoonful of canned pumpkin, all bran, or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil) into her food. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. When offering these, its best to use wet food both for ease of feeding but also since canned food is 35% water. It’s a good way to make sure we are getting fluids into her As well, you also want to encourage her to drink by offering fresh water, low salt chicken broth, or even lactose free milk. The increase in fluids with avoid any dehydration risk, which can make constipation worse.So, the above treatments would be our options at this stage for your wee one. Of course, as you use these, do keep a close eye on her fecal output. Hopefully, we will see her signs settle, but if we don’t in the next 12-24 hours, or she begins to vomit or feel poorly at all, then we’d need to get your local vet involved. Severe impactions of feces are usually secondary to more serious diseases, so if she doesn't respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, then she may require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation). Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )