Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

My dog ate breakfast yesterday morning and was chewing on a

Customer Question

My dog ate breakfast yesterday morning and was chewing on a beef bone the night before, of which I bought from kahoots and seem just fine. I noticed about 1/2 hr. later she seemed narthogic and seemed to be having trouble getting up w/back legs and walked slowly. I noticed that breakfast was thrown up outside, but don't know if it was from her or my other dog. I took her for a walk w /my other dogs of which she was not like herself. She didn't want dinner or breakfast this morning. I bought a can of pumpkin and gave her a couple of tablespoons of it yesterday and this morning. Don't know if this is like a stroke or siezure
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Just that I know she at least eleven because we got her from someone and I had her all that time.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help.This is not a seizures.... seizures are actually very short and last a few minutes at the most. And the vomiting makes a stroke unlikely. Most likely this is somehow related to the bone. Did you watch her chew on it? Could you tell if she just chewed it well or did she swallow any pieces?The vomiting is what really supports this being bone related. If she swallowed a good sided piece of it and it is stuck in her intestine it could make her quite sick and weak. Typically they won't hold down anything.... did she hold down the pumpkin that you gave her? Another thing that bones can trigger is pancreatitis. This is inflammation in the pancreas which can lead to severe intestinal irritation and even damage other organs.I would really recommend taking her to a veterinarian ASAP. Either of these conditions can be very serious. My criteria for taking them to a veterinarian on emergency are... if their gums are pale, if they have generalized weakness, if they can't hold down any food, or if their abdomen is painful. It sounds like this might fall into these category. I hope that helps, but if I can be of more help please let me know.