Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

She is taking very quick shallow breaths and wont eat...also

Customer Question

she is taking very quick shallow breaths and wont eat...also weak
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: pearl is 12
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pearl?
Customer: she has hypothyroidism and possibly cushings disease
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.So, any time that a dog has increased breathing (and it is not panting related) it could potentially be a very serious problem. My first thought is that she could be anemic. That can cause quick, shallow breathing, weakness, and pale gums. If you lift her lip and find that her gums are pale, then this is definitely an emergency and I would get her to a veterinarian ASAP.If her gums are not pale then this could still be something serious. Other things that would cause quick, shallow breathing and weakness include fluid around the lungs or in the abdomen. Sometimes you can see that their abdomen is distended with fluid, but you can't tell if there is fluid around the lungs without an xray. I would take her to get looked at and xrays taken.Neither the cushings or the hypothyroidism would cause this breathing... they can pant more with these diseases, but it is obvious panting and not what you are describing. I hope that helps, but if you have more questions let me know. If not, please rate my answer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy