Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Last night my 4 year old lab / beagle mix loss control of his

Customer Question

Last night my 4 year old lab / beagle mix loss control of his bladder, was walking & peeing and didn't seem to realize he was doing it. Also, he was very wobbly and looked kind of dazed in his eyes.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No, what would that have to do with it
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Thunder
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Thunder?
Customer: he picked up what looked like a half a peanut butter & jelly sandwich from the ground about 2 hrs before this started
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
There's a good chance that Thunder experienced a complex partial siezure (also called psychomotor seizure) which is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for this event and for just what you witnessed. Thunder's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if Thunder should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should he suffer another event within 24 hours of this one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. He would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you
You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.