Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Pearl...I just got home and my 2.5 year old 35 pound beagle

Customer Question

Hi Pearl...I just got home and my 2.5 year old 35 pound beagle mix got a bottle of Melatonin gummies off of my counter and ate SEVERAL of them. Several meaning probably in the range of 40. They are 5mg gummies. He is eating and drinking and will go outside and run around. I left at 7:15 and noticed it at around 12:30. Should I take him into the vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the beagle will be able to digest that. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Jimbo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jumbo?
Customer: No, other than that he is very healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
Melatonin is considered non-toxic in our dogs even when ingested in egregious amounts. I have seen sedation develop but never recommended inducing emesis or treating in any manner. There's no specific information concerning its pharmacokinetics in animals but in humans it has a short half-life (20-50 minutes) and plasma levels return to baseline within 24 hours after a dose even after long-term dosing. I see no reason to take an asymptomatic Jimbo to his vet.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.