Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 3-1/2-year-old white-silver german shepherd - she

Customer Question

I have a 3-1/2-year-old white-silver german shepherd - she was diagnosed with heart worms at 6 months old - has been treated with ongoing hartguard - was checked last in July last year - smear test showed no more babies - snap test showed just a slight sign of the protein left in her system - she has done well other than a slight cough that the vet says is a tracheal collapse -
Over the last few months I had noticed her throwing up a yellow phlegmish material - did research and found that it can be sign of gluten intolerance so switched her dog food from Alpo to Blue Buffalo about 3 weeks to a month ago (has gone through one small bag of food and into a large bag now) - has had consistent diarrhea since switch - husband gave her a little ice cream last night - she threw up this morning - again yellow phlegmish material - still diarrahea -
Is there something I can do to help her or could this be something else - I don't want to lose my precious dog - she's my heart!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. It is very likely that something else is going on. While gluten intolerance can cause some vomiting, there are also dozens of other causes. Plus gluten intolerance is not very common at all. There are other things that are far more common. Pancreatitis, pancreatic insufficiency, inflammatory bowel disease, liver problems, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and dietary sensitivity to something else would be among the more common issues. The diarrhea may just be due to the diet change, or it could be related to the vomiting. At this point, I would have your vet run some full blood work on her if not done within the past month or two. I would also include a CPL to look for pancreatitis and a GI panel (TLI and serum cobalamin/folate) to look for pancreatic insufficiency and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. It is possible that further testing, such as an abdominal ultrasound or endoscopy may be recommended, but I would start there. I would talk to your vet about gradually switching her over to a low fat, bland diet, like Hill's I/d and nixing any human food. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.