Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

MY 5 MONTH OLD FEMALE LAB HAS A TUCKED VULVA SHE HAD A UTI

Customer Question

MY 5 MONTH OLD FEMALE LAB HAS A TUCKED VULVA SHE HAD A UTI THE FIRST MONTH (FEB) I HAD HER. I NOW I WIPE HER FREQUENTLEY AS OF NOW SHE HAS BEEN UTI FREE IM GETTING 2 DIFFERENT OPIONS SHOULD I LET HER GO THROUGH FIRST HEAT TO SEE IF HER VULVA POPS OUT TO REDUCE ANY FURTHER RISK OF UTI OF SHOULD I SPAY HER ?? HELP IM SOO CONFUSED !!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.
There are two reasons to allow her to go into heat. The first is to see if her vulvar anatomy will be altered to the point that urinary tract infection is no longer a risk. The second is related to the benefit of delaying neutering in Labs. In terms of joint disorders, researchers found that non-neutered males and females experienced a 5% rate of one or more joint diosrders. Neutering before the age of 6 months was associated with a doubling of that rate to 10% in Labs. In terms of cancers, only female Labs showed a slightly increased cancer incidence (risk) when neutered early. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?