Jerry Swetnam
Jerry Swetnam,
Experience:  Chief of Staff at Banfield Pet Hospital

My male beagle almost 15 started shakinig and foaming at the

Customer Question

my male beagle almost 15 started shakinig and foaming at the mouth, now he can hardly walk and eh keeps bumping into things, i dont think he can see any more
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the beagle's name and age?
Customer: JJ 15yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Je?
Customer: his hind legs i think have arthrites and right now i think he may be dying he keeps walking around trying to get behine things
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jerry Swetnam replied 5 months ago.
Hi there this is Dr. Scott. Sorry to hear about your beagle. There are many things that can cause these signs. Some of my initial rule outs are toxin exposure, vascular accident (stroke), and glaucoma. Regarding glaucoma, Beagles are a breed that gets primary glaucoma at a higher rate than other breeds. It must be diagnosed and treated within 24 hours or permanent blindness will occur. I would strongly suggest getting to a veterinarian as soon as possible for this reason alone. Make sure they can do a test for glaucoma (tonopen). They also will be able to do some blood test to get an idea on how the body is working as well (complete blood cell count, internal organ function screen).These types of cases are tough because I have seen them get better without any treatment in a short time (possible mild toxin exposure) and I have seen them get worse despite proper diagnostics and treatment (major strokes). My best advice is to have a veterinarian do a physical and start some testing asap. I wish you the best.Dr. Scott I wish you the
I wish you the best.