Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

If dog eat sanddollar is it poisonousJA: I'm sorry to hear

Customer Question

if dog eat sanddollar is it poisonous
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: a sand dollar on beach in New Jersey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.The good news is that sand dollars (just like starfish) aren't toxic, and as long as they're chewed well, they usually don't cause anything more serious than some digestive upset (vomiting and/or diarrhea).I would give him a bit of extra food, and you could even add some canned pumpkin (plain pumpkin...not the pie filling) to his diet for a couple days to bulk up his feces and help push that sand dollar through the digestive system.Then for the next week to 10 days, make sure to monitor him when he goes out to defecate. Once you see pieces of the sand dollar in the feces, you're likely out of the woods.That being said...they can, on occasion, cause an obstruction in the intestines....this is what happens when the dog eats something too big or bulky to pass through the digestive tract the normal way. It gets caught in a loop of intestines and causes everything to grind to a halt. When this happens, the dog becomes very sick and it is often fatal. If you see anything like attempting to vomit or defecate with no success, lethargy, anorexia, or painful abdomen, you should have him seen by a vet immediately.I hope this helps.