Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

How long does it take 3 by 5 leather strap to pass in

Customer Question

How long does it take for a 3 by 5 leather strap to pass in a beagle? It's been 3 days.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry to hear about this concern for your Beagle. Unfortunately, there's not a specific time frame as to when the leather strap might be seen.Transit time varies quite a bit from dog to dog (anywhere from 12-24 hours or longer) although it doesn't typically take three days for foreign objects to be seen in their feces. However, having said that, if the strap remains in the stomach (a distinct possibility in this case) and it doesn't move into the intestines, then you might not see it for a week or more. Of course, there's also the possibility that he'll vomit it up if it's in the stomach. Just to give you an example: my dog ate a sponge and I didn't see it in her stool until 10 days after she ingested it. Of course, I was worried that she might become obstructed and that she wouldn't pass it at all but she did. Signs which you'll want to monitor until or unless you see the strap in her stool include loss of appetite, vomiting, lethargy and/or abdominal pain. Should any develop, then a vet visit would be prudent. In the meantime, you might feed her additional fiber and take her for long walks every day to help increase motility. I hope this helps. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb