Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My wife gave our rat terrier 1/2 a Claritin D pill at 11am

Customer Question

My wife gave our rat terrier 1/2 a Claritin D pill at 11am this morning. It is now almost midnight. I am guessing the 15lb dog took in 120mg. My wife took her to the vet and she was not having issues vomiting or with diarrhea.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the rat terrier eat anything unusual?
Customer: She is however hallucinating. she wont sit still and is looking at the walls in a panic
JA: What is the rat terrier's name and age?
Customer: Piquitas - 5 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Piquitas?
Customer: not at all.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Eyes are dialated but she is responsive and friendly, just scared to death and literally staring at the walls/air in panic...
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about Piquitas. I just came online and saw your question. I am sorry you did not get help from an expert before now. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. The pseudoephedrine in Claritin D is toxic to dogs. How is she doing?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
How is Piquitas doing?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We are good. Unfortunately the respnse came way late. Appreciate the reach out but will not use the service going forward. Don't expect an immediate answer but one within an hour or two would have been fine.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
I answered as soon as I saw your question. We experts come and go offline. I am sorry an expert was not available sooner. I am glad to hear she is good; Claritin D can be dangerous if a dog gets too much. Thank you for the update.