Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

Have you seen collars shrink and embed from getting wet? My

Customer Question

Have you seen collars shrink and embed from getting wet? My cat just went to the vet today with a bad injury/infection from an embedded collar I had to cut off of her. She didn't grow and I know absolutely the collar was not originally put on too tightly nor was it tightened thereafter. She's only worn it for a month. My parents had a similar thing happen to one of their cats years ago but I can't find anything about this on the Internet. Vet acted like she didn't believe me and made me feel awful. I'd never hurt an animal I rescued and bottle fed. It breaks my heart she was hurt by something so random. Please tell me people know this can happen.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your kitty and your experience. I can certainly imagine some collars, depending on the material there are made of, shrinking. I know that leather collars can shrink if they get wet. I would expect it would be possible with cotton material, if it got wet and then was against an animal's warm skin. I also found this thread about paracord, which I believe is a synthetic material, that someone had shrinkage of their collar with: I am sure it must have been very distressing to see your kitty in pain and even more so to feel your vet did not believe you. I am sorry you did not have a better experience, but I hope your kitty is on the path to recovery now!!! I would consider pre-shrinking any collars in the future if your kitty may be getting wet, to be on the safe side, and checking regularly (which I am sure you will end up doing after this unpleasant experience!
Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jessica Keay