Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 50 pound dog just ate about half of a beef boullion cube

Customer Question

My 50 pound dog just ate about half of a beef boullion cube about 10 minutes ago. I got it away from him including the wrapper, before he could eat the whole thing. I filled up his water bowl & he's been drinking. I don't know how much is dangerous. I have a medical procedure early tomorrow morning, so no one will be here with him for a few hours. Please advise. Thanks.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tebow, 3 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tenno?
Customer: I don't think so. He's been pretty healthy so far.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! The concern here is two fold. Bouillion is very high in salt and can actually lead to a condition called salt poisoning. A dose of more than 2 grams to 3 grams of salt per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight is toxic.He is likely feeling very dehydrated with the high salt intake which can lead to vomiting and his body is begging for fluids. Give him as much as he wants as long as that isn't inducing vomiting but in moderation, perhaps a cup every 15 minutes. That's really all that you can do at home. Signs of salt toxicity include lethargy, depression, tremors, increased vocalization, and can progress to stiff muscles, seizures coma and death.If you start to see any tremors it is advised to have him seen by a veterinarian to check his blood sodium levels. He may be having tremors because his stomach is upset but in this case I would err on the safe side and make sure it isn't due to high levels of salt in his blood. Their primary therapy will be fluids, activated charcoal to decrease further absorption and injectable medication to protect his brain if seizures occur.If he ingested the wrappers too the second concern is a gastrointestinal blockage which will be shown by continued vomiting and a tense painful abdomen but luckily it sounds like you were able to remove this from him prior to swallowingFrom the amount ingested I suspect he will be just fine, 2-3 grams/ kg x 22.7 kg (50 pounds)= 44-68 grams and very likely the one cube is not equal to this amount (on average one cube is 4 grams)I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance this evening. I am online another 15 minutes to assist you both If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Good morning, I wanted to check in on you and your dog to see if there were any issues with the beef cube ingestion? I would love an update when you are able Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!