Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I just got this new small dog, he's about 1-2 years old and

Customer Question

I just got this new small dog, he's about 1-2 years old and weighs about 9.5 lbs. Coming inside to his brand new home he saw a cat while I was setting him down and he flipped out on his side hitting his head. He didn't fall, he simply was an inch off the ground in my hands when it happened. Shorty after he starts picking up one back leg after the other like some sort of dance along with being very still and shaky out of fear. This went on for 2 minutes and after I took to go lay down on the couch where he continued to loose his balance and stumbled around in a circle, there was also execessive drooling, all of this went on for about 6 minutes and now he seems fine. I looked at the symptoms and I saw that head injuries in small dogs can cause seizures but as I said before his body was not far from the ground when he hit his head.. Should I take him to the vet to get medication right now or is the problem solved now that he's not showing any symptoms? Is there anything I can do to help it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...Do you know anything about his life before you?When was the last time he ate?Have you had dogs before?What breed is he?