Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I just found a large "nickel to quarter size" red lump

Customer Question

Hello, I just found a large "nickel to quarter size" red lump on my 2 year old black lab. I noticed it was a raised area of fur and when I went to touch it the fur area came off revealing the bump which is "raised but flat", red, and seems possibly inflamed. Not sure what it may be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.
Hello Brian, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** attached a photo.
Thanks for the photo, very useful ... Just typing out your reply now. Regards, *****
Hello again Brian, In a dog of two years of age this is likely to be something very minor, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below ... 1. From your description and the photo what you are seeing sounds very like a condition called " Hot Spot " which is a specific focal form of eczema often found in your breed.2. I have know clients independently treat hot spots on an over the counter basis and report success using the likes of 0.5% or 1% Hydrocortisone cream applied twice a day for a week. It is important to cut the hair from round the affected area and washing the area with lukewarm salt water and then dabbing the area dry before applying the cream will help. It may be worth trying this before getting your vet involved.3. Of course if this skin lesions does not quickly resolve or if you note any deterioration then it would be best to have your vet check your Lab over. Even with " Hot Spot " prescription drugs are sometimes needed and of course other diagnosis are also possible. 4. Here is a link to a photo of a typical " Hot Spot " lesion : LINK I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Brian, I have found a link to an accurate article which covers " Hot Spot " in some depth so you can research things further : LINK Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you *****My concern regarding this is that on Tuckers bump, it is a raised lump and all of my readings on the hot spot do not make it out to be a raised mass. Is this normal for it to be a raised mass or would that disqualify it for being a hot spot?
Hello again Brian, I have often know slightly raised masses similar to the appearance on the photo you sent turn out to be " Hot Spot " so some common sense treatment is worth a try. Of course other diagnostic possibilities exist such as a histiocytoma, follow this link for more info : LINK One good thing though, in my experience whatever is going on is not likely to be too serious in a younger dog like yours. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Brian,I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his skin bump ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.