Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 5 year old toy Yorkie has developed a tender stomach overnight

Customer Question

My 5 year old toy Yorkie has developed a tender stomach overnight to the touch. It is kind of hard and he yelps a little when I pick him up in that area. He has not had a bowel movement today and is walking tenderly.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No I haven't. He was fine when he went to bed last night. Didn't leave my room all night. I did have bones in my room he usually eats at night.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Dog was fine yesterday and last night. Eating OK yesterday. We gave him some barbecued rib bones yesterday. He has eaten them before with no problem.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tiger
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
There are two main considerations in a dog presenting as Tiger, Diane. The first is abdominal pain resulting from his attempting to pass macerated rib bones which can splinter, lacerate, and perforate the GI tract. In that case I would expect to also see his vomiting and/or diarrhea but, instead, he hasn't had any bowel movement. The second consideration should be back pain as seen with degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") in a 5 year old miniature. These patients may vocalize when approached or lifted, have a change in posture such as holding the neck rigidly and head lower to the ground, shake/tremble (pain responses), have difficulty jumping up or down or navigating steps, and exhibit a change in behavior such as a normally social dog becoming aloof or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy". Back pain often results in constipation because it's painful to position to defecate. Now that you have a quick synopsis, which of these considerations seems more likely to you?