Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I am dog sitting papain female dog. There is a red bulge

Customer Question

I am dog sitting for a papain female dog. There is a red bulge coming out of her backside. I looks like guts or part of her female stuff. I do not believe the dog is fixed and she is not bleeding. HELP what is this and what needs to be done, if anything.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with Lady. You're seeing either vaginal hyperplasia or vaginal prolapse. An edematous swelling of the vaginal mucosa occurs secondary to estrogen stimulation and it may progress to vaginal protrusion through the vulvar lips as it has done in her.Our treatment goals are to prevent drying, necrosis, and devitalization of exposed vaginal tissue, prevent future recurrence, and prevent urethral obstruction. We insert a urethral catheter to relieve obstruction when present, ensure that vaginal tissue is kept clean, apply topical applications of sterile water-soluble lubrication or antibiotic ointment, apply an Elizabethan collar or protective pants to avoid self mutilation, provide a clean environment to minimize tissue trauma, and recognize that spontaneous regression at the end of estrus (heat) is common. Her owner may also schedule an ovariohysterectomy (spay) which prevents recurrence and may hasten resolution; regression of tissue is reported to occur within 21 days post spay.I hope you have permission to bring Lady to her vet who will determine how much of the above needs to be done. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The owner will be gone for two weeks, with little contact. If I am unable to get permission to bring the dog in right away, is she in immediate danger? Will this go away on its own? The dog is not wanting me to get close to the area. Anything else I could possibly do or look out for?
She might be in a precarious state. Both hypertrophy and prolapse can worsen and there's always the worry about urethral obstruction which would prevent her being able to pass urine. Yes, hypertrophy does usually abate on its own but we have to protect exposed tissues as I mentioned above. I would consider boarding her at an animal hospital who would monitor her throughout a 24 hour period. It's not fair to you to have to do this and she's not allowing you to ministrate to her in any event.