Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My sixish pound Pomereanian was diagnosed with Patella I

Customer Question

My sixish pound Pomereanian was diagnosed with Patella I struggle to keep his weight down but an not able to give him the exercise he needs. I am looking into buying a treadmill. What are yyour thoughts on this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. I think a treadmill on low for walking is a very good idea if you are unable to take him leash walking. It is a good, controlled exercise. This is assuming that he will walk on it. Some dogs do not. They do use them in veterinary rehabilitation centers, especially the underwater treadmill. I would also control his diet as well. If his diet isn't controlled, it will be difficult to get the weight down, even with the increased exercise. Decreasing amount fed by 20-25% and eliminating people food usually helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.